Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving 2006

Today has been hard--I'm so far away from the group of loved ones that I normally hang with. We have to normal turkey, gravy, and all the things most people think of. But we have changed things up a while ago and started making Perogies. It has become a tradition at my mom's, and I thought that I would miss it. So the past few weeks I have thought about doing it for Don and myself. When I ran the idea by Don he was excited because I wanted to change up the Perogie fillings to fit more into Thanksgiving. At my mom's there are so many people that having 600 Perogies and all the normal Thanksgiving food is okay. But when there is only 2 of you--you don't need all that food. So--I got ground turkey (putting everything you would use on a turkey in my ground turkey ie: onions, celery, sage and all the spices), then we made mashed potato with cheese ones (that's a normal filling around mom's house), and then we tried to make a pumpkin pie perogie (which to tell you the truth is wonderful--we will be working on the filling a little bit to make it better but it was dang good). I got to talk to a few of my siblings, my mom, and some friends (I don't have many so I guess I talked to them all). But it made me feel that I wasn't so far from home. I made sure to have dinner the same time that my mom always has holiday dinners--which made me feel a little closer to home! Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments: